Click here to register online
SASLHA: For ALL Audiologists and Speech-Language Therapists
The PR and Marketing Committee of SASLHA would like to share the following information with you about the Association.
All qualified Speech-language Therapists, Audiologists, Community speech-language therapists and/ or Audiologists, Hearing Aid Acousticians and Speech Correctionists who are registered with the HPCSA are eligible for SASLHA membership. Student Membership (with full membership benefits) is also extended to registered Speech-language therapy and/or Audiology students.
SASLHA consists of the following:
A National Council who is elected by the members at the Annual General Meeting, made up of council members who serve on a voluntary basis. Office bearers on the SASLHA National Council include The President, the Past-President and the President Elect, the Treasurer, Chairpersons of the various standing committees (explained below) and Branch Chairpersons.
Standing Committees that are also made up of members who serve on a voluntary basis.
- Ethics and Standards Committee
Concerned with the professionalism, integrity and dignity with which we practise and communicate with the public and other professionals
- Publications Committee
Provide members with information regarding the activities of the association and current research in the field through the quarterly COMMUNIPHON, as well as the annual SOUTH AFRICAN JOURNAL OF COMMUNICATION DISORDERS
- CPD Committee
Administer the Continuous Professional Development matters of the Association. SASLHA is an accredited provider of CPD activities, and also provides members with an Electronic CPD programme whereby members can obtain ALL of their CPD points without leaving their desk.
- Public Relations and Marketing Committee
Concerned with the promotion of the profession to the general public through awareness campaigns, often involving therapists around the country in implementing these campaigns, as well as promotion of SASLHA to eligible professionals.
- Fees and Liaison Committee
Concerned with the task of liaising with medical aids regarding fees and benefits for our services.
- SASLHA has an Admin Office, situated in Johannesburg, where the Office Manager is employed by SASLHA to handle the day-to-day admin of the Association. Our current Office Manager is Dudu Mokoto, who can be contacted on 086 111 3297 .
- SASLHA has a website (www.saslha.co.za) which is user-friendly and updated on a regular basis. An electronic newsletter (SASLHA E-zine) is Emailed to all members on a monthly basis.
- There are a number of SASLHA Branches around the country who hold regular meetings with various professional activities such as guest speakers, journal clubs and the like. These provide excellent learning experiences and support for therapists.
- Every year, SASLHA teams up with SAAA, the ENT Society and SAHNOS to host an enormous National Conference of international standard. For the last few years the conference has hosted international speakers of extra-ordinary quality. SASLHA members naturally receive a preferential registration fee for this conference, as well as many smaller workshops and conferences held around the country.
All speech-language therapists / audiologists know that speech-language therapy and audiology is not simply our job that we do from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. Speech-language therapy and audiology defines who we are as a person. We ARE speech-language therapists and audiologists, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That’s was makes us professionals.
SASLHA is our professional association, made up of like-minded professionals. It is here to serve these professionals in order to provide better service to their clients, as well as promote the profession of speech-language therapy and audiology to the general public in South Africa. For a very reasonable membership fee (approximately R100 per month)SASLHA provides the best service it can to you as busy professionals.
The more members SASLHA has, the more the Association will be able to provide for its members. For your membership fees, you receive:
- Information regarding the development and growth of the profession in terms of new technology or new research that’s out there through publications.
- News about job opportunities which is conveyed to the members on a regular basis, via the Internet and text messages
- News regarding the latest testing, assessment and therapy equipment is advertised in our publications and on our website.
- Continuous professional development in the comfort of your own home or through exciting workshops and conferences
- Public awareness campaigns and professional marketing material
If you have never been a SASLHA member, I would like to encourage you to do the following:
- Visit the SASLHA website (www.saslha.co.za) for a taste of what you could benefit from as a SASLHA member.
- Call Dudu at the SASLHA office on 086 111 3297 and experience the personal touch and efficiency first hand
- Fill in the attached membership form and become part of a growing and dynamic association of like-minded, goal-driven professionals
If you are an existing SASLHA member, I would like to encourage you to do the following:
- Be a spokesperson for SASLHA amongst you colleagues and friends
- Participate actively in SASLHA’s projects and activities. Your participation will make a project successful and enjoyable for all.
- Communicate your wishes, complaints and compliments to the National Council via Dudu at the office. If something makes you angry, we won’t know not to do it again if you don’t tell us. We’d also love to hear when we do things right!
Click here to register online
Wishing you a great 2013!